Norman Geisler defines inspiration of the Bible as "the process by which God worked through human writers, employing their individual personalities and styles to produce divinely authoritative and inerrant writings." To summarize, the Bible is 100% the work of human beings and 100% inspired by God.
What the Bible Claims
- The Bible clearly states, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness." (2 Timothy 3:16)
- The Bible states that an individual can find God by having an open mind and reading the contents of the Bible:
- "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find.." Matthew 7:7
- Though written by more than 40 authors with different occupations in different cultures over 1500 years, the message and theme of the Bible is consistent. Throughout all of the books we see God's loving pursuit of humanity and humanity's resistance to Him.
- Prophecy fulfilled by Jesus.
- Fulfilled Old Testament prophecy.
- Historical facts proven through archeology. The December 1974 issue of Time states, "The Bible is often surprisingly accurate in historical particulars, more so than earlier generations of scholars ever suspected." It went on to say, "After more than two centuries of facing the heaviest scientific guns that could be brought to bear, the Bible has survived – and is perhaps the better for the siege."